CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Homemade baby food

When making your own baby food, I've learned that it first helps if you actually know your vegetables. This sounds simple enough, right? Aha! I bet you would be as surprised to learn as I was (or maybe not, maybe you're well cultured in horticulture) that a sweet potato is in fact, not a sweet potato--it is a yam!!! Yes, those yummy orange potatoes that we use to make "sweet potato" caserole, mashed "sweet potatoes," "sweet potato" fries, and the "sweet potatoes" that are in those baby food jars, are really YAMS. A sweet potato is really a paler imposter, that when peeled is yellow, and not nearly as "sweet" as a yam. Who knew?! Obviously I didn't. And since the grocery store didn't have any yams that I was used to buying, I bought a "sweet potato." It's all mashed up and ready for Lyla to taste tonight...we'll see if she actually likes it. My guess is she probably would have prefered the yam, but it might be a nice change from rice cereal.

1 comment:

  1. So true. I got delicious YAMS to give my baby this week. So much fun making homemade baby food!- www.weelicious.com

    ReplyDelete